What type of wreath bases should I use?
- Grapevine wreaths - use when you want part of the base to be seen.
- Straw wreaths - use when covering the entire base with seashells.
Where do I purchase them?
- A craft store like Michael's, A.C. Moore, or Joann Fabric carries the wreath bases. Each store carries a different variety. Not all will carry the straw base.
- A department store like Walmart carries the grapevine base. Look for it in the craft section of the store.
How much will the wreath base cost?
- It depends on the store but you can pay around $1.00 for an 8 inch straw wreath to $5.00 for a 18" grapevine wreath.
- There are some fancier grapevine forms that can cost close to $20.00.
What type of glue do I use?
- You'll need to purchase a glue gun if you don't already have one. Get one that is capable of dual control for heat. Dual control has a setting for low and high temperature. You'll be using the high temperature setting when gluing shells to the wreath.
- The glue sticks will be 1/2" in size and clear in color.
- Glue guns may be purchased at a hardware store, craft store, or department store.
I've never used a glue gun before, is it difficult to learn?
- Be sure to let the glue gun warm up properly. This may take 5 minutes or so. You'll see the glue start to drip from the tip.
- Like anything, you need to practice first. Grab a tree limb and glue some shells on it. Try not to let any glue be visible.
- When you're ready to glue shells on a wreath base, select a small one. That way if you make a mistake, you won't be out of pocket too much money or shells.
The glue is hot, would if I get it on my fingers?
- Keep a small bowl of water with ice cubes handy to immerse your fingers in case of contact with the glue.
Is there anything else that I need to buy?
- A rubber finger purchased from an office supply store or department store to protect your thumb. If right-handed, wear the rubber finger on your left thumb.
- A pair of tweezers to use when applying glue to a seashell.
- A glass plate to collect the glue drippings from the hot glue gun.
If I want to attach some sort of hook to the wreath base, what do I use?
- For grapevine wreaths, purchase wire covered with twine at a craft store.
- You'll need wire cutters to cut the wire.
- For straw wreaths, purchase a sturdy wire that can be inserted from one end of the straw base to the other side.